I was checking my e-mail the other day and say an advertisement of Victoria's Secret. This is not something new for me but I did have a thought pop into my head. I could never be that model. She was selling their product but also the image of being perfect and seductive. Is that all women are suppose to be? Isn't that what our culture tries to tell us? Show a little more leg or cleavage....then you'll get the attention you want. Then you will go places. Then you will catch the guy of your dreams.
How long will we believe this, how long have we believed this? I have a brain and like using it, thank you very much. I would hope that men see me for more then my body. Yet in a image driven world I am made to feel that me being me is not enough. I know guys might not fully understand this but there is a lot of pressure on girls in this area of their life.
Sometimes I wonder if we have become too image focused and loose the perspective on what God wants us to look like. I would not allow myself to work out for a while in college because I knew that my motives were to improve my body in hopes of catching a guy. God had to strip me of this thinking before I ever started to work out consistently. Not all girls allow God into this area of their life and end up trapped in the cultural mind set of becoming this perfect "image".
May I never care so much about my outward appearance that my inner appearance is lacking.
No comments:
Post a Comment